[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:13:53 PDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 01:22:49PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:

> > > Copy/move the sound files to be played back to a drive other than the
> > > drive where sound files are being recorded.
> >
> > I was about to ask "But how does ardour find them?"
> > ... but then I remembered:
> > Windows -> Options -> Paths/Files -> "session RAID path".
>
> ... except that I can't get it to work. In a trivial session with 2
> recorded files, I set my "session RAID path" to
> "/mnt/audio/ardour_sessions/demo/:/tmp/"
>
> So I thought I'd then be able to manually move files between those two
> directories.
> I see that ardour has automagically created session subdirectories on
> /tmp now: sound, audiofiles, peaks, and so forth.
>
> I stopped Ardour, moved one of my wav files into /tmp/sounds/,
> restarted Ardour, reopened the session and it complains:
> ardour: [ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (Audio
> 1-1.wav): while searching
> /mnt/audio/ardour_sessions/demo/sounds/
> ardour: [WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by
> silence.
>
> So it looks like ardour isn't actually searching the session raid path
> for sounds?  Is this a bug?

I doubt it. Read the session XML file. Possibly it is hard coded in
there so that Ardour doesn't have to search. I don't know.

Other apps, such at Pro tools and Acid, have audio session managers
that keep track of things about audio files, such as size, date, name,
format, etc. When a file gets moved you go through a search and
replace step to get it all linked up again.

Replacing with silence is probably a simple solution someone put in
early on until they got around to doing this sort of thing, should any
users ever ask for it to be done.

So, let's not call it a bug and maybe make an enhancement request?

- Mark