[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Jan 26 17:45:47 PST 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, René Moolenaar wrote:

> I'm using an ada8000 and a presonus digimax lt with my 01v96v2. The presonus
> has much better preamps then the ada8000. Recordings made with the presonus
> stand better in the mix. But it has only 8 inputs and is more expensive. The
> ada8000 has 8 outputs as well.
>
> Here is a comparation of several preamps. Only problem it is in German, but
> it also include the ada8000.
>
> www.amazona.de/index.php?page=26&file=2&article_id=848

The Digimax looks like a pretty decent box, with features and a price
point similar to the MOTU 8pre firewire/digital audio interface.  The
Digimax specs list a dynamic range of about 107 dB, which I'm assuming to
be A-weighted because all of their other headroom and range specs are
A-weighted.  I haven't been able to locate a spec sheet for the 8pre yet -
I have an email into MOTU's tech support to find numbers for the 8pre.

If you've used either the Digimax or the 8pre with an RME Digiface, I'd be
very interested in hearing about your experiences with them.

jms