[ardour-users] RME

Andrew Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 14:36:30 PST 2007

On 1/26/07, Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 14:18 +0000, david headon wrote:
> > The issue many of us soundcard shoppers face is largely M-Audio
> > Delta1010 versus the RME Hammerfall.
> >
> > THe HDSP 9652 has a breakout cable facility unless you go for the MADI
> > version, which is for Multiface usage.
>
> The multiface has nothing whatsoever to do with MADI. The multiface has:
> - 8 analog inputs
> - 8 analog outputs
> - Stereo headphone output (not an extra output in software, but you
>    can route a signal in there with the hdspmixer)
> - SPDIF or AES-EBU i/o (depending on configuration)
> - ADAT input (8 channels on <= 48kHz, 4 channels when > 48kHz)
> - ADAT output (ditto)
> - Wordclock i/o (for synch)
>

> > There are loads of reasonable ADAT-optical based converters out there,
> > but i wonder which is best for money?
> > The manufacturers of card-box-XYZ are liable to give relatively
> > non-helpful information on their websites - for us JACK/ARDOUR users
> > anyway.
>
> If your soundcard works in Linux and has ADAT i/o, any ADAT box will
> work with it. There's nothing software / OS specific about that.
>

> > IS there a message board or forum somewhere that is independant of
> > music stores or manufacturers?
>
> I read up on reviews on http://www.harmony-central.com/ , take them with
> a grain of salt though.
>
> > Perhaps one that is JACK specific?
>
> JACK is just a piece of software to pump audio samples around. It
> doesn't matter whether those samples come from a "traditional" sound
> card, an ADAT interface, or a random generator.
>
> > i'm hoping to collect an RME card soon, and i want to use the optical
> > ports with whichever is the best AD/DA -ADAT option out there.

The only thing I'll add here is that there are of course different qualities
of  AD/DA converters, and it does actually make a difference to the sound
quality.  Apogee make a very expensive but widely accepted as one of the
best converters, where as down the cheap end of the market there is
equipment that does the job, just not as well - but depending on factors
such as your studio and the rest of you equipment, your AD/DA choice might
not really be the most important thing to spend your money on!