[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Brett Clark Brett at ciscoinc.com
Wed Jan 3 13:16:43 PST 2007

> > That is a good point.  Ive also heard, but im not positive, that
> > the 1010LT only supports -10dBu and does NOT have +4dBu
> > capabilities.  That may be an issue for some people.
>
> What is the issue with -10 and +4dBu and what should I use either for?
> Can I bypass the preamps on the 1010LT?

The -10dBu is a consumer product level signal while the +4dBu
is a "hotter" professional level signal.  I use the +4 in my setup
because it puts more space between my signal and any noise
that the lines may pickup along the way.  The main thing with using
+4 is making sure that all your gear is compatible with it, otherwise
you will overload the gear and end up with really loud distorted noise.

Using -10dBu may not be an issue unless you suspect that your
lines will pickup noise.  I originally recorded at -10 before i upgraded
to my 1010 which gave me the option to move to +4.

Im not an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt.  None the
less, i hope this helps.

--Brett

> >> I feel I should point out that the 1010LT has all unbalanced I/O.
> That is a good point.  Ive also heard, but im not positive, that
> the 1010LT only supports -10dBu and does NOT have +4dBu
> capabilities.  That may be an issue for some people.

What is the issue with -10 and +4dBu and what should I use either for?
Can I bypass the preamps on the 1010LT?

Regards
/Karl