[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 16:31:23 PST 2007

> I use Gentoo, I love Linux but for a new user, and I dare say for a hardware manufacturer they DO NOT see that Linux at it's core is NOT Ubuntu or Gentoo or Fedora or Debian. To a new user it is ALL Linux, and so when something doesn't go right,
they blame Linux for it.

Which is all the more reason to make sure the correct information gets
out.  If the misinformation continues to spread it will never go away.

That is why it is important(IMO) to highlight the differences, and why
it is important to get hardware manufacturers to realise that it is NOT
all that difficult to maintain a driver for open source.  They still
only do the same amount of work they normally would, if that much, as
some, maybe even most, bug fixing may even come from the community.

The main point of my post had less to do with the viewpoint of the new
user, vs that of the manufacturer.  And why many people do blame
manufacturers for hardware problems.  Because lets face it, if there
were manufacturer provided open source drivers that were kept up to date
for most hardware like there is for Windows or OS X, many problems(Not
all, but many) that newcomers have with Linux in as far as having their
hardware supported would in fact be fixed.

For instance, this thread probably would never have happened if RME had
made the effort to update the Linux drivers like they do with Windows or
Mac to be compatible with the updated revision of firmware.

In fact if my understanding of it is correct, this is part of the
reasoning behind the recent open letter from kernel devs to write
drivers for their hardware for free as long as the manufacturer is
willing to provide information on it.  Obviously in the end we hope it
provides better support for hardware for the end user, but also I would
hope it might educate hardware manufacturers on why it is not that
difficult to keep a driver updated.  Obviously whether this is the right
method to take vs asking the manufacturers to write it themselves is a
topic for another list and time as well.

> People do prefer to do things in their own way, and the whole Linux community is NEVER going to agree on one way that things should be managed.  Why?  Because there are pros and cons for every system - and when you aren't one entity such as Microsoft you can't make that happen - you can't enforce one standard

Thankfully in recent months/years there have been efforts to standardize
some things without necessarily restricting choice.  For instance just
getting package managers to talk to each other would be a great step
forward IMO.  I still wonder if the strengths of apt and portage could
not both be easily combined into a single package management system as
they seem to operate in a very similar way for the end user(UnEducated
opinion there mind you;)

> Many other just want the thing to work...and in that respect NO OS does that properly yet - and I doubt for a long time (Windows/OSX is probably doing it a little better at the moment) !

Mac OS probably has the lead.  Like I pointed out in the forum thread I
posted the link to, it has the advantage as it takes away many of the
unknowns and locks it down to a set of known hardware and software.  It
is much easier to control things in that type of controlled environment.
  Don't take this to mean I am saying it is a weaker OS though.  I am
currently typing this on Mac OS on my Powerbook, while my workstation I
do my work on runs Linux, as well as my Nokia 800 and 770 which are
slowly taking over my day to day life management that I have been doing
on my Powerbook.  Now there are limited things I use Mac OS for, though
I still recommend it for those people looking for an alternative to
Windows, but aren't ready yet, or happy with, Linux.

Which of course brings up the other point you posted...

> I know there are many people in the Linux community who want to see the whole world move over to Linux, and I was like that for a while...but I'm beginning not to care anymore.

I also tend to think it is not the answer for everyone, yet.  But I do
hope some day it gets to that point, or at least distributions get to
that point for desktops.  There have been some good moves in that
direction, a few distributions have started doing impressive jobs on
various machines for this purpose.  But on the flip side I am not sure
it will ever happen, as there will always be choice with Linux, one of
its strong suit, and choice confuses people.

      Seablade