[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Andrew Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 15:57:21 PST 2007

Thomas,
I whole heartedly agree with you, but on the flipside I think you have
highlighted the main root of the problem and frustration that John is trying
to get across.  I use Gentoo, I love Linux but for a new user, and I dare
say for a hardware manufacturer they DO NOT see that Linux at it's core is
NOT Ubuntu or Gentoo or Fedora or Debian.  To a new user it is ALL Linux,
and so when something doesn't go right, they blame Linux for it.  Like you
said, the problem comes from the very nature of OSS, being a widely used
variety of choice.  People do prefer to do things in their own way, and the
whole Linux community is NEVER going to agree on one way that things should
be managed.  Why?  Because there are pros and cons for every system - and
when you aren't one entity such as Microsoft you can't make that happen -
you can't enforce one standard.  Along with freedom of choice comes
organised chaos...and I personally prefer it.  I prefer not to be dumbed
down in my knowledge of computers by my OS and for it to make decisions for
me I didn't ask it to, but that's because computers interest me in
themselves.  Many other just want the thing to work...and in that respect NO
OS does that properly yet - and I doubt for a long time (Windows/OSX is
probably doing it a little better at the moment) !  I laugh at those sci-fi
experts that warn about computers becoming ai and maybe one day developing a
consciousness!  We still haven't come very far from 'bad command or
filename' I'm afraid =)  Anyway...off to a tangent there...I have to agree
with John, or at least empathise with his frustrations, but I also believe
that not everything in life is easy.  If Linux is one of those things, then
so be it - in the end it does a better job and that's what counts.  I know
there are many people in the Linux community who want to see the whole world
move over to Linux, and I was like that for a while...but I'm beginning not
to care anymore.  It frustrates me that people will settle for less, but I
think it reflects a larger reality with other elements of life - people take
the easy road, and live lives that are far from what they could be.  You do
your best to convince them for a while, then sit back and watch them miss
out, realising that it's their choice.

If you want to eat Maccas all your life - go for it - but I'm going to eat a
samorgasboard of healthy delicious flavours from across the globe. It might
take 2 hours to cook instead of a 2 minute wait - but I will have a richer
experience for it.

I reckon my comments are worth at least 3 cents =P

Andy