[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Michael Bechard gothmagog at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 09:12:07 PST 2007

>> Re-installing or upgrading drivers under Linux is simply
>> too difficult for the average computer user.
>
> I've been running linux for over 6 years and never had to install a
> single driver by hand. With the latest distros (debian/ubuntu) all I had

I'm going to chime in and say that I too have had to, on numerous occasions, install a driver by hand, especially when I wanted/needed the capabilities of that driver that only that hardware's development team could produce. In other words, I have found that while sometimes there may be a mostly-suitable kernel driver for any given piece of hardware, the driver developed by that hardware company for Linux (which you'll have to install manually) is usually more stable and feature-rich.  And I agree with John that when you get to that point of having to install it yourself, you're in for an unpleasant experience.  I'm considering building an HTPC, and there's no way I'm going the Linux route.  When you take into account the remote control, TV tuner, and other hardware involved in that kind of machine, there's just WAY too much of a possibility that it just won't work on Linux, or if it does, it'll be buggy and cumbersome.

I'm a programmer by profession, and I really, REALLY want to make Linux my main OS of choice.  But I've frankly grown tired of the endless tinkering that is inevitably required.  I don't want to muck around in make files and incompatible libraries; I want to be productive.

I will say that, were it not for the hardware/device driver issues, I would absolutely be using Linux now.  The non-driver software and the ideas behind the entire OS are great.  Not enough hardware vendors support Linux (at least, not as much as they should), plain and simple.

Michael Bechard