[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 08:55:16 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
To: "John Emmas" <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: <ardour-users at lists.ardour.org>
Sent: 09 February 2007 15:27
Subject: Re: [ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

> I have never, ever come across any mention of such a situation in all
> the years I have used Linux. The closest thing I can think is where
> people take it upon themselves to build their own kernels, their own
> kernel modules, and then manually insert certain modules (drivers)
> without regard for what the rest of the system wants to do. But even
> that will not work - each driver reserves certain resources needed to
> control the card, and a second driver will fail to allocate them.

Paul - I can assure you that when I upgraded Ubuntu from Dapper to Edgy
(about a fortnight ago) Edgy installed a kernel-mode driver for my broadband
modem - but it didn't uninstall the old user-mode driver that had been used
by Dapper.  The 2nd one did indeed fail to run but it must have started to
run while the 1st one was still initialising.  Consequently, neither driver
started successfully.

Anyway, I've managed to recover my Ubuntu partition and I ran that lspci
command that you asked for.  Here's the output that I got:-

00:13.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall DSP
(rev 98)

Is rev98 the firmware version?  And if so, is it a valid revision?

thanks,

John
P.S. According to my PC's BIOS, the on-board AC97 sound controller is
disabled.