[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Andrew Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 14:23:13 PST 2007

Okay, instead of changing distros and giving us new problems to figure out,
it might be worth doing a bit of logical problem solving for both your
inputs and ouptus.

1) What is your hardware that you have connected to the RME, and how have
you connected it?
2) When you speak into your microphone do you get any levels appearing in
the hdspmixer 'input' section.  If so, then your connection from your
hardware to the RME for the input side is good...if not then we need to
figure out why....this also may explain why you aren't hearing any audio
either as your connections may be mixed up.
3) When you play audio from a jack connected application, do you see levels
in the second section of the hdsmpixer called 'playback'.  If yes, this
means that your audio application/jack is getting sound to your sound card.
So you can rule that part out.
4) Are there levels appearing in the bottom section of the hdspmixer called
'output'.  If not then this is why you aren't hearing any audio.  If so then
everything is fine with your distro and your card, the problem is your
external hardware connections.
5) If you DO have playback levels, but your DON'T have output levels, it
means that somehow the routing to your outputs has been turned down.  Just
say for instance that there are levels in playback 1+2.  If you click the
box below the fader you can change the outputs that those channels are going
to, and usually when you do, it by default is turned down.  So if you want
the playback to go out to channels 15+16, press the button and select A2
7+8.  Then bring the level up and you should see levels appearing in the
'outputs' section under channels 15+16.  If you want to link 2 channels
right click instead of left click when you move the fader.  If you repeat
the same thing and select A1 1+2, and turn the faders up, then you will see
audio in the ouput section for both channels 1+2 and channels 15+16.

Hope you get somewhere soon.   The RME card is worth it, you have made a
good choice in buying one, you won't regret it.

BTW once you do have everything running, there is another tool called
hdspconf.  This is used to make sure that your wordclock is synced to the
same sample rate as your outboard gear, and lets you choose between using
ADAT or your old style BNC coax connection.  This won't however be the
reason you aren't getting sound, but is still important to check for
accurate sounding playback and recording.

Cheers,
Andy