[Ardour-Users] Problems connecting ZynAddSubFX to Ardour 2 using JACK

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 13:55:09 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have a Fedora 7 system with JACK, QJackCtl, Ardour, and ZynSubAddFX
installed from the official Fedora Package repository.  I've also
installed Ardour 2 from the Planet CCRMA repository.

My problem is that I cannot get audio out of ZynAddSubFX and into Ardour
2.  I do the following:

1) Start QJackCtl and use it to start JACK.

2) Start ZynAddSubFX and use the connections dialog in QJackCtl to
connect the two outputs of ZynAddSubFX to the playback outputs on my
sound card.  Prove that I can generate sounds.

3) Disconnect ZynAddSubFX from the sound card playback outputs.

4) Start Ardour 2, create a new session, add a new track.  Use the
connections dialog in QJackCtl to connect the two outputs of ZynAddSubFX
to the inputs of the new track.  Confirm the connections by opening the
mixer window and clicking on the input button or the new track and
selecting edit.

5) Try to generate sounds in ZynAddSubFX and expect to see the meters
move in Ardour, nothing happens.

Two additional points: firstly, if I do the above but using Ardour
rather than Ardour 2 then it works as expected.  Secondly, if I use
QJackCtl to add an additional connection from the ZynAddSubFX outputs to
the playback outputs on my sound card I get sounds created, but still no
movement on the meters.

I should mention that I'm not seeing any JACK problems, no XRUNs are
reported in QJackCtl.

I'm guessing there is some switch I need to flick, but I can't for the
life of me see it.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith.