[Ardour-Users] FW: boost libs

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Sat Aug 18 04:02:50 PDT 2007

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:16:09 +0200
Hein Zelle <hein at icce.rug.nl> wrote:
> What system are you on, Lieven?  On my debian system I have installed
> the binary package (from Debian) called libboost-dev, and I've built
> boost myself with no further problems.  Does your system have a
> pre-built libboost-dev package?  If so, that's probably what you want:

As I recall, he's using "Linux from Scratch" which is why he needs to
build all of boost to get the parts he needs.

Everyone's distro is a matter of choice, of course, and I feel some
affinity for the folks who still want that control over the OS (seeing
as I go back to the Yggdrasil days and used Gentoo extensively at one
time), but for audio work, I can't see any benefit these days to rolling
my own, especially when it comes to realtime kernels.  I'm a huge fan
of Planet CCRMA's Redhat-based distro for audio work now, and have never
had a problem building any of the versions of Ardour that wasn't quickly
and easily solved.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com