[Ardour-Users] Struggling to do anything at all

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Thu Aug 2 10:50:09 PDT 2007

On 2 August 2007 at 18:23, Steven Chamberlain <steven at pyro.eu.org> wrote:

> Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > I did that with ardour 0.99.3.  I had many takes, used a guide
> > mix of the other instruments and a click track.  I did a lot of
> > editing and punch-ins.
>
> Did you do record those many takes back-to-back using the 'loop play'
> button?  I was under the impression that feature was new to 2.0.x.
>
> Previously in Ardour 0.99 I did some work where I was manually clicking
> 'Stop' after each take, then running it again.  That process of clicking
> Stop then Start becomes a lot of effort if you're still not happy after
> 3 takes, especially when the instrument and the computer aren't very
> close together.

I did the work manually.  Markers help!  Oh, wonderful markers.
I also got PS/2 extender cables for my keyboard and trackball,
and I turned my monitor to face the drum kit.  Since then I
bought a BCF2000, and I'll try that on the next go around.

> The other difference between those two methods, is that when it's easy
> to do many takes back-to-back, I really do.  On occasions I've done 50
> takes back-to-back of only a short section, but then Ardour would
> crash... :(

I haven't tried the back-to-back loop punch-in recording method.
I can see how it might save some mouse clicks.

> > If you're curious about his CDs, check out
> > debone.com.  Unfortunately the three tracks I play on didn't make
> > it into the "clips" on the site.  I'll have to have him add one.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing any acoustic drums recorded and/or
> processed with Ardour.

I've asked (the other) Kevin to put up some of the tracks I played on.

Cheers....

--
Kevin