[Ardour-Users] Struggling to do anything at all

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 11:06:14 PDT 2007

Sampo / Thomas,

Thanks for those links guys.  It's getting a bit late here today but I'll be
sure to investigate them tomorrow.

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > someone in the software group created a program that would spew
> > sequences of individually legal events at the various interfaces
> > while recording those events.  The sequence of events was often
> > nonsensical, but each even was legal.  They found and squashed a
> > ton of bugs using this tool.

Kevin - that's a weird co-incidence.  One of my first 'proper' programs was
a tool that did exactly the same thing (and oddly enough, for a DAW).  It
was back in the late 1980's and communicated with the DAW via RS232.  It
would record all the events so they could be repeated.  As (bad) luck would
have it, the main problem with the DAW was that some bright spark had
specified memory chips that were too slow and most of the problems were
caused by that.  Consequently, the problems weren't repeatable, even on the
same machine, let alone across different machines.  Ultimately my great
'proofing tool' turned out to be useless but I had fun writing it...!

Cheers,

John