[Ardour-Users] AudioRegion references an unknown source id (was: Struggling to do anything at all)

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Thu Aug 2 09:28:30 PDT 2007

Paul Davis wrote:
> for an example of a very similar issue as your #3, discussed
> within the last hour or so on IRC:

I get the same error, but I believe the cause of it was different for
me.  I see your point though, about getting to the details of what
actually happened.

Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> Ouch. Can you post that session file?

Sure, it's attached^H...
was over 200kB so I'm hosting it here:
  http://pyro.eu.org/stuff/broken-session-20070802.ardour

The last thing I did was record a punch region while looping (8 tracks
simultaneously).  I believe it was immediately after loading the
session.  Clicking 'Stop' resulted in many regions being created in the
same place on the timeline (which is correct, though it usually doesn't
work as I've explained already).  I then tried to adjust the start
position of these regions at the same time (cropping, not moving) and it
crashed, leaving the session file as described.

  <Region id="77503" name="Tom 4-15" start="0" length="37132142"
position="0" first_edit="nothing" layer="0" sync-position="0"
flags="Opaque,DefaultFadeIn,DefaultFadeOut,Automatic,WholeFile,FadeIn,FadeOut"
scale-gain="1" source-0="58173" channels="1">

There are lots of regions referring to "58173".  I imagine "58173"
refers to a sound file which is made up of several 'takes' recorded
during a looped punch region.  I can't find any other mention of "58173"
in the session file, except as source ID specified by regions.

I imagine deleting all the regions referring to missing sources will get
the session file working again.  But Ardour should probably do that
itself (and show a warning, but not a fatal error).

Thanks,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven at pyro.eu.org