[Ardour-Users] realtime previewing of effects (specifically vst)

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Aug 2 00:32:17 PDT 2007

Quoting Andrew Johnston <andyandtaya at gmail.com>:

> I have found a solution for the meantime.  I have got the wineasio dll
> and
> got the free windows program called vsthost, which you can connect vst's
> together and monitor realtime.  I could then patch that direct to
> ardour...or just copy the settings over...thanks for the suggestions.

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Unless vsthost runs plugins better than Ardour.

VST plugins and LADSPA plugins are equivalent from a monitoring perspective.
Just use software monitoring and enable running plugins when recording. In
this configuration, Ardour will monitor via software and the plugins the
track input when the track is armed for recording. If you want to monitor
the signal even when the track is not armed, switch on auto-input.

  Sampo