[ardour-users] [ANN] Mackie MCU, BCF2000 and Tranzport testers wanted

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Sat Apr 28 07:47:40 PDT 2007

Hi,

I got the possibility to play around with ardour2 and the Tranzport
controller, using ardour2-rc1 (same for rc2) from Planet CCRMA/Fedora
Core 6, and the 'libardour_tranzport.so' plugin from the archlinux
package of ardour2-rc1 (http://www.archlinux.org/) (it is not included
in the CCRMA dist).

The installation instruction in the manual did not work for me, but the
instructions from http://ardour.org/node/274 worked fine (except for the
strange double quotes created by cut-and-paste...). I like the device,
although there are some problems:

- Complete freeze of the machine: Select the 'master' bus on the
Tranzport device, and then go one more track to the left. Sometimes the
crash only occurs after repeating this some times. Running a
non-RT-kernel has same problem. I was running ardour/jack without root
privileges (although with full access to usb-device and RT-privileges).
rc1 and rc2.

- The last track/bus cannot be selected.

- The link breaks down after some buttons pressed or after quickly
turning the shuttle wheel. It takes about 10 seconds to recover the
connection.

- After a button was pressed the device is not accepting input for about
0.5 seconds.

Except for these bugs it works fine. The mapping was somewhat different
to that described in the manual. "record-enable all tracks" (shift-rec)
is a good feature, but I was not able to find the opposite. And 200% is
not to fast for ffwd/rew, but this is probably a matter of taste.
Switching of the displayed time mode is desirable (bars/beats make no
sense in recording sessions without metronome feedback...).

Is it possible to compile the libardour_tranzport plugin without
compiling ardour? I would be happy to have a deeper look into the
source, but was not able to compile ardour2 on my system (probably
inconsistent gcc-versions in some libraries), and found
tranzport-related code at more than one place in the repository.

Thanks to all developers of ardour!

  Giso