[ardour-users] latency compensation in ardour

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl at folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri Sep 29 04:58:42 PDT 2006

Hi all,

we're trying to compensate for latency, recording the playback tape
for steve reich's new yourk counterpoint. It basically consists of 10
tracks of clarinet played by the same player. The clarinet gets a
prerecorded clicktrack from track 1 (rather than ardour's built-in)
and the recorded sound should align with the click. Ardour seems to
compensate perfectly well for the latency introduced by the soundcard,
but we get additional latency from the dac/adc of the mixing console
(Yamaha O3d) of ca. 20 ms (of which half of it have to get
compensated). It would be very nice if we could be able to set a
prerecording delay for each track as latency compensation (using jack
doesn't work as we are using a bigger blocksize in jack than in the
Mixer).

Is that possible?

Yours,
Orm