[ardour-users] making connections from inside of ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Sep 28 07:05:44 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 15:59 +0200, Dragan Noveski wrote:
> hi to the list,
> i am enjoying very much the developing of ardour2, but i am still not
> able to work with this seriously, because on my machine there still is a
> bug, that i am not able to make any connections from inside of ardor
> (input/output window on a mixer channel strip and also from the
> menu-track/bus inspector or connections)

you are confused, an unfortunately common condition caused by my/our
poor design.

the "Connections" window has nothing directly to do with "making
connections". in 0.99 it was a way to define specific configurations for
input or output (a number of ports, plus what they are connected to).
it is not necessary to use this in order to use ardour, and in fact,
hardly anybody ever has. its future in 2.0 is unclear at this time.

> in the channelstrip input/output window, as in the track/bus inspector
> too,  i am only able to remove/create inputs/outputs, but trying to
> connect, just nothing happens.

what actual interactions are you having with the dialog, since it works
perfectly here, from a functional perspective.

btw, sometime post 2.0beta3, the entire paradigm for connecting stuff
together will change to use something close to Reaper's IO matrix.