[ardour-users] jack won't function

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Sep 20 05:56:18 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:42 +0200, J.L. Blom wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like some help with setting up Ardour as I am a musician and
> technician as well but have no experience whatsoever with DAW's (or
> Analog audio processing for that matter).
> I have installed Ardour using smart and started it. Beautiful front-end
> came but it doesn't do anything. Audacity works without a problem (but
> that doesn't use jack). when I use qjackctl however, I see the following
> messages:
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
> 32bit
> control device hw:0
> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for capture. Falling back to
> playback-only mode

you appear to have an audio interface that can't be used in duplex mode
(capturing and playback at the same time). this is typical of a number
of consumer devices. you can run JACK in playback or capture only mode,
but that may not be useful for you depending on what you want to do.

what type of audio interface is it?