[ardour-users] 8-channels sections

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Tue Sep 19 18:23:54 PDT 2006

On 9/19/06, bbarros <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> In the the Panning Box of a stereo or a 8-channel track inside the
> Mixer Editor there is
> a square with 8 squares and 2 up to 8 numbers corresponding to the
> number of channels of the track. I'm confused about what the squares
> are. Is it the positions of the speakers? Hum.. If it is I can
> understand.

Yes, the squares are supposed to represent the speakers, but our
pitiful panner widget (and algorithm) really isn't usable above 4
outputs.  In your example of 8-channel track (with 8 inputs and
outputs and 8-channel regions) I assume you don't want panning at all,
you should right click on the panner and bypass it.

As for your stereo tracks panned to 8 outputs, you might need to do
some creative things with sends and/or extra buses so you can use
multiple stereo panners that route to different channels on your
master bus.  That sounds like a real mess.

> But my Master Out also has 8 squares and 8 numbers, so I'm confused again.
> Why do you have to specify the position of the speakers in each track
> and in the master out? It doesn't make sense.

This is another case where you should bypass the panner, it is the
only way it makes sense.

Out of curiosity, what do your 8 channels represent in real space?  A 3d cube?
Another possibility is making a custom LADSPA plugin that will take
the 2 inputs and provide multiple controls (X,Y,Z or Angle,radius....
etc) to allow you to pan using it (and bypass ardour's panner).   The
code for such a plugin may not be too hard, but you'll have to talk
someone into writing it for you.

> Other thing is that the jackpilot stoped twice. Is there issues with
> poly-channels
> sections and/or tracks? Is it less stable? I want to make a 8 channel
> piece using stereo soundfiles and recording 8 channel material from
> other program. I'm on a g4 1.33 1gb-ram, mac os x.

Did Jack itself stop, or just jackpilot?  Eg, did ardour stop
producing sound (and come up with an error dialog) or not?

How many tracks did you have in your session (of each type)?

jlc