[ardour-users] Ardour2-svn 912 Segfault on Dapper

Nicola Mattei foxdalailama at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 08:17:43 PDT 2006

2006/9/13, Nicola Mattei <foxdalailama at gmail.com>:
> Hi to te list. I currently have problems with most recent svn versions
> of ardour2.
> It builds fine but, when I execute it, it segfaulted every time I try
> to add a normal track (every kind of them, from "mono" to "manual
> setup" after displaying a message box that says:
> "programming error: unknown track mode in add route combo = Normal"
> Here's the command line output:
>
> :~$ ardour2
> Ardour/GTK 2.0beta2
>    (built using 1.0.2 with libardour 1.0.0 and GCC version 4.0.3
> (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5))
> Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Paul Davis
> Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker
>
> Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
> jackd: wait for startup process exit failed
> jackd 0.100.0
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|128|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 128 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 32bit sample format so JACK
> will try a 24bit format instead
> Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK
> will try a 16bit format instead
> nperiods = 2 for capture
> Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 32bit sample format so JACK
> will try a 24bit format instead
> Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK
> will try a 16bit format instead
> nperiods = 2 for playback
> ardour: [INFO]: JACK server started
> OSC @ osc.udp://localhost:3819/
> Enabling SSE optimized routines
> looking for control protocols in
> /home/maffo/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/local/lib/ardour2/surfaces/
> ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
> ardour: [WARNING]: Your system generates "Mod2" when the NumLock key
> is pressed. This can cause problems when editing so Ardour will use
> Mod3 to mean Meta rather than Mod2
> Gtk-Message: /usr/local/etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui.rc:83: failed to
> retrieve property `GtkWidget::cursor-color' of type `GdkColor' from rc
> file value "((GString*) 0x8b196c0)" of type `GString'
> Gtk-Message: /usr/local/etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui.rc:83: failed to
> retrieve property `GtkWidget::cursor-color' of type `GdkColor' from rc
> file value "((GString*) 0x8b1f430)" of type `GString'
> actually writing state
> actually writing history
> actually writing state
> actually writing history
> actually writing state
> actually writing history
> [...]
Same problem with revision 918. I also noticed that if you run ardour2
from a terminal it tries to create the directory for your new session
starting from your cwd in the terminal.
For example:
username at hostname:/$ardour2
then you choose, for example, to create a session in your home
directory (eg: /home/username/ardoursession1
it actually tries to create /ardoursession1, failing as / is owned by root.
It's still a problem of mine or someone else has experienced such problems, too?
thanks again,
Nicola