[ardour-users] Musix 0.59, released
marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 06:14:54 PDT 2006
== Download ==
Thanks to the support of the Ututo Proyect, FSF, Ourproject, and to the usual
collaborators, the Musix project has just released Musix 0.59, with more then
650 packages upgraded, a 100% graphic startup process, new audio and video
hardware detection, NTFS write support, samba, Amarok and much more.
== Musix GNU/Linux, release announcement ==
The Musix project is pleased to announce the new version of this 100% freedom
software operating system for artists and general purpose users. More than
650 packages were upgraded and many others were included, for instance the
udev system, the awesome multimedia player Amarok, writing support for NTFS
partitions, samba and mp3 codec for audacity.
=== System and Desktop Startup ===
The system's startup process now is totally graphic, we added a splash screen
to avoid hi verbosity, and the (icewm+rox-filer) Desktop now starts without
user interaction. If it fails, you can type videoconfig.sh and try another
videocard/monitor configuration, then restart your desktop.
=== Hard disks ===
We hope Musix 0.59 could fix some detection problems related to hard disk
detection and configuration.
=== Video ===
The new video management should work better for your hardware... now there are
3 autodetection methods to choose from: 0) "Musix", that works using a new
Xorg's ability, 1) the default "Knoppix" method, and 2) the Gentoo Live-CD
method. We advice you to try the "Musix" method: it should give you the best
possible configuration for your videocard/monitor.
=== Sound ===
The autodetection method for soundcards was changed because hotplug was
replaced by udev. Now the soundcard autodetection is done by a modified
=== Upgrading without reinstallation ===
Musix 0.59 should be able to upgrade an old installed version using
the "Package Upgrader" tool from the new knoppix's installer. Nonetheless, we
advice to use the traditional installation way, because this upgrading system
is too experimental for now. Also, "Package Upgrader" could transform a
Knoppix (or similar) installation to a Musix system.
=== Summarize ===
In short: Musix 0.59 it's a necessary step towards the 1.0 stable version that
should be ready in the first months of 2007, when Debian Etch will be stable,
but there is a long way to go...
== Changelog 0.59 ==
== Updated packages ==
Over 650 packages were updated, for example:
== New packages ==
* udev (is a daemon which dynamically creates and removes device nodes
from /dev/, handles hotplug events and loads drivers at boot time.)
* Lashd (is a session management system for JACK and ALSA audio applications
* Amarok (versatile and easy to use audio player. It tries to be a little
different, providing a simple drag and drop interface that really makes
playlist handling easy.)
* Foobillard (is a billiards game with a three dimensional display)
* samba 3.0.22-1 (a LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix)
* ntfs-3g (It provides full read-write access to NTFS, excluding access to
encrypted files, writing compressed files, changing file ownership, access
* timemachine-lancher from Adrian Pardini
* mp3 encoder for Audacity
* Added special graphical effects (xcompmgr) as an option
== New features in 0.59 ==
* Created ntfsmusix.sh: assistant for NTFS partition configuration.
* Modified alsaconf to work with multiple sound cards.
* /bin/videoconfig.sh and /bin/menu improved.
* New method for video detection (works only with Xorg >= a
* Autostart system of applications in the desktop: ~/Desktop/Autostart
* Most of Musix own characteristics were packed in .deb files with the
objective to update old hard disk installations from a new Live-CD and also
to convert or Debian/etch into Musix.
== Other changes ==
== To do ==
* Add http://directory.fsf.org/dvdrip.html
* Make splashy to take images from the last desktop (maybe with xdump)
or any screen capturer. It can be useful to make the shutdown or even the
boot... (can't make it with xwd or ksnapshot because they're not automatic)
*Enhance alsaconf to force it to install EVERY soundcard found.
* Create a KDE application resetter: (killall dcopserver, rm ~/.ICE* ~/.DOC*)
and place a shortcut in IceWM menu
* Disable soundcard autodetection process in old computers (use bogoimps)
* Build an adaptable system for capacity process (bogoimps) for timidity
* Package NyF and nn in .deb files
* Install Gilberto Borge's control panel (needs changes)
* Add Rosegarden 1.2.4 from RPMs?
* Find out possible RPMs to add
* Install multimedia kernel 2.6.17?
* Add a line in fstab with tmpfs for dev/shm if working with realtime kernel
* Find out solution for amsn and xterm
== Known problems in 0.59 ==
* If after installation the sound card is not correctly configured in each
system boot, is necessary to write this command in a text console as root
ln -s /bin/sndconf-musix.sh /etc/rcS.d/S50snd
* After installation: if the “critical Error” warning when initiating the
desktop for the Knoppix user bothers you, it can be disabled from:
Musix --> Settings --> KDE Control Panel --> System Administration --> Login
Manager --> Convenience
There, disable the '''"Enable Auto-login"''' option.
* Shaketracker 0.4.6-5+b1 doesn't start.
* AMSN does not start due to a color definition problem, which it's related
the application mrxvt. It can be replaced by using GAIM
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre
* CD Donwload: (http://www.musix.org.ar/en/) (www.pc-musica.com.ar/musix)
* Videos, programas y otras cosas en: ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/
* Reporte de errores a:
*IRC: #musix channel on freenode
More information about the Ardour-Users