[ardour-users] 32 v 64 bit

Fri Nov 17 16:38:27 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 12:14 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 08:56 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > On 16 November 2006 at 18:28, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> >
> > > 64 bit works fine, but :
> > >
> > > 	a) no CCRMA support for x86_64
> >
> > I imagine that things like this might change as 64-bit becomes the
> > norm.
>
> CCRMA will change when they invest enough in x86_64 to make it worth
> Fernando's while. Given that he just built up a whole stack of nice new
> silent boxes that IIRC are *not* x86_64, i think it might be a while.

The are _all_ x86_64 (athlon X2 4400 based - 40 of them). But they are
all running 32 bit installs for now - convenience and (my) time
administration trumps absolute speed for now, hmm, myself I think the
speed change would not be measurable in the exponential realm of human
perception (5%?), _all other factors being equal_[*].

In the last few days I've started building and testing realtime kernels
for fc6 and I'm doing that with 64 bit builds as well. But don't hold
your breath for a full Planet CCRMA on 64 bits just yet, it is just
kernels for now :-)

-- Fernando

[*] exact same hardware, exact same distro, exact same install, same
build environment, only difference being build on 32 bit version vs.
build on 64 bit version.