[ardour-users] low latency kernel problems

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed May 17 17:57:05 PDT 2006

On 5/17/06, philicorda <philicorda at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 12:19 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
<snip>

> > On my single core AMD64 the 2.6.15-rt kernels boot, as do the
> > 2.6.16-gentoo kernels. Using the new Gentoo pro-audio overlay I tried
> > building 2.6.16-rt22 yesterday. I hangs early in the boot when it's
> > installing the IO Schedulers.
>
> I have 2.6.16-rt22 working fine on my AthlonXP. (Gentoo Gcc 4.1.0)
> The only IO scheduler compiled in is 'deadline'.
>
> #
> # IO Schedulers
> #
> CONFIG_IOSCHED_NOOP=y
> # CONFIG_IOSCHED_AS is not set
> CONFIG_IOSCHED_DEADLINE=y
> # CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ is not set
> # CONFIG_DEFAULT_AS is not set
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEADLINE=y
> # CONFIG_DEFAULT_CFQ is not set
> # CONFIG_DEFAULT_NOOP is not set
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED="deadline"
>

> The Gentoo pro-audio overlay is a fine thing isn't it?
> Respect is due to those who put it together.

Hi,
   Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. As
expected I now only see the noop and deadline schedulers registered
and then the machine hangs. Rebooting into 2.6.16-gentoo-r2 works
fine, as does the older 2.6.15-rt18.

   The pro-audio overlay is a great but I'm not sure I'm working it
perfectly well. For instance,

eix rt-sources

tells me there isn't a kernel but

emerge rt-sources

says it's in the pro-audio overlay, downloads and correctly installs it.

lightning ~ # eix rt-sources

Found 0 matches
lightning ~ # emerge -pv rt-sources

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-kernel/rt-sources-2.6.16-r22  -build -doc -symlink 0 kB [2]

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/local/portage
 [2] /usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio
lightning ~ #

I'm now confused about using this. I used the layman method of installing it.

Thanks,
Mark