[ardour-users] Ardour and Latency Handling

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Tue May 2 23:37:30 PDT 2006

Quoting Andrew Johnston <andyandtaya at gmail.com>:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Well, I did some more testing and still coming up with the same results
> FYI, I;m using a gentoo 64bit system.
> Ardour is 0.99.2
> Jackd is 0.99.0-r1
>
> I did a latency test on my console using jdelay and it came up at about
> 1/10th of a millisecond, taking the JACK delay into account (assuming a
> read
> the figures correctly).
> So the problem is not the mixer.  I checked for samples and have come up
> with some more useful information than before.  Zooming in close I can
> see
> ardour has corrected for latency, but just not correctly.  For example
> with
> Jack set to say 2048 frames, the track being recorded is placed 2048
> frames
> BEFORE the original track.  With 64 frames, it is 64 frames before, but
> because this is only 1.3 milliseconds, it is not noticeable as delay.  I
> have tried changing the JACK latency option within ardour, just to test,
> but
> of course it didn't solve the problem.
> So know I'm not sure what to do next.
> Any other ideas?

Your jackd is probably too old for proper latency correction. I'm not sure
when the latency reporting capabilities were added to jackd, but I'm pretty
sure it was after 0.99.0.

If upgrading jackd doesn't help, check track alignment options. You can do
this in the track context menu (right click on track header on the canvas).
There are two alignment models for tracks: "Align with existing material"
and "Align with capture time".

  Sampo