[ardour-users] Jack is Jacked

Andrew Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 02:53:23 PST 2006

On 3/30/06, Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:

> Quoting Mike Fisher <mrfisher_1 at yahoo.com>:
>
> > Gentoo Linux 2.6.10 kernel
> >
> >  alsa-driver-1.0.10
> >  jack -0.100.7
> >  qjackctl-0.2.19a
> >
> >  Nah... jack isn't really jacked. I just keep having a strange
> > occurance.
> >
> >  Everytime i start jack for the first time I get this message....
> >
> >  cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)
> >  jackd: wait for startup process exit failed
> >  jackd 0.100.7
> >
> >  and a pop-up in qjackctl that reads "Could not connect to JACK server
> as
> > client. Please check the messages window for more info."
>
> You probably have multiple versions of jack installed. Both in /usr and in
> /usr/local/
>
> Have you by any chance built jackd yourself (without specifying
> --prefix=/usr to the "configure" script) and installed a version of jackd
> from your distribution?
>
> If yes, you should remove the one you don't want to use. Either remove the
> package installed from your distribution via rpm or apt-get or whatever
> your
> distro uses, or do a "make uninstall" from the jackd source directory you
> built & installed jackd from.
>
>   Sampo

Speaking of funny things Jack is doing, I get this strange message when I
startup Jack:

apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|64|2|48000|0|0|hwmon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 64 frames, buffer = 2 periods
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
cannot tie an input port
20:20:16.110 Server configuration saved to "/home/andyj/.jackdrc".
20:20:16.110 Statistics reset.
20:20:16.113 Client activated.
20:20:16.115 Audio connection change.
20:20:16.116 Audio connection graph change.

Then everything works fine.  I have 26 inputs and 26 outputs on my HDSP9652.
It seems to happen 26 times =)
This only happened after I built Jack (on gentoo) with the jacktmpfs flag
on.
Could that be contributing to the occasional xrun?

I'm posting here because I don't want to join yet another mailing list/forum
=)