[ardour-users] Jack is Jacked

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Wed Mar 29 21:55:44 PST 2006

Quoting Mike Fisher <mrfisher_1 at yahoo.com>:

> Gentoo Linux 2.6.10 kernel
>
>  alsa-driver-1.0.10
>  jack -0.100.7
>  qjackctl-0.2.19a
>
>  Nah... jack isn't really jacked. I just keep having a strange
> occurance.
>
>  Everytime i start jack for the first time I get this message....
>
>  cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)
>  jackd: wait for startup process exit failed
>  jackd 0.100.7
>
>  and a pop-up in qjackctl that reads "Could not connect to JACK server as
> client. Please check the messages window for more info."

You probably have multiple versions of jack installed. Both in /usr and in
/usr/local/

Have you by any chance built jackd yourself (without specifying
--prefix=/usr to the "configure" script) and installed a version of jackd
from your distribution?

If yes, you should remove the one you don't want to use. Either remove the
package installed from your distribution via rpm or apt-get or whatever your
distro uses, or do a "make uninstall" from the jackd source directory you
built & installed jackd from.

  Sampo