[ardour-users] Files, created by Ardour, not recognized by any other programm...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Mar 28 08:44:33 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 08:16 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> On 28 March 2006 at 10:37, "Jesse Chappell" <jesse at essej.net> wrote:
>
> > The next release of
> > ardour (0.99.3) will be using the latest libsndfile which will allow
> > you to at least import ardour's native files.  As for other apps, you
> > are probably out of luck trying to get them to recognize the native
> > files.  You will to have to export anything you want to use outside of
> > the software.   We are planning to change our native file formats in
> > ardour2, so the problem will likely go away then also.
>
> Will there be an option to choose WAV or Broadcast WAV over RF64,
> much the same way that there's an option to choose which of those
> will be the "native" format of a new recording project?  What

already added to ardour 2.0 :)

the support for the formats is not there yet, so the only visible choice
right now is BWF or WAVE, but the code is all there once we get format
support. you get to choose data format and header format independently;
data can be 32 bit float or 24 bit int right now.

we are waiting to decide how best to handle WAVE64/RF64 w.r.t
libsndfile.

> I'm poking at here are questions of compatibility between ardour
> 0.99.X and ardour2.  Would it be possible for a user to work on
> an ardour project with 0.99 and then 2.X and then 0.99, etc.?
> Any caveats?

you won't be able to use 2.0 and then be guaranteed that 0.99 will work.
but the other direction is assured to work, or you can shoot me.

--p