[ardour-users] Files, created by Ardour, not recognized by any other programm...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Mar 28 07:51:48 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 10:37 -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> On 3/28/06, Vadim Kupriyanov <vadline at solnet.ru> wrote:
> > Ardour can't read this files himself... I create new session, make
> > import audio (copy) and It wrtie;
> >
> > [ERROR]: file "/Users/Vadim/Desktop/test Ardour/sounds/Audio 1-2.wav"
> > appears not to be an audio file
>
> Yes, this is a known problem on OS X right now.  The next release of
> ardour (0.99.3) will be using the latest libsndfile which will allow
> you to at least import ardour's native files.  As for other apps, you
> are probably out of luck trying to get them to recognize the native
> files.  You will to have to export anything you want to use outside of
> the software.   We are planning to change our native file formats in
> ardour2, so the problem will likely go away then also.

... except that we plan to use an even more obscure "standard" :)

     http://www.sr.se/utveckling/tu/bwf/prog/RF_64v1_4.pdf

this is actually a pretty nice format: it looks like regular WAVE if the
file size fits within the limits of WAVE (and the application reading it
obeys the rule that you ignore chunks you don't understand). then if the
file gets too large, it becomes a new type of file (assuming the
application reading it understands a size field of -1 in the "normal"
WAVE fmt chunk).

its still under discussion.