[ardour-users] ardour not fast enough

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Mon Mar 27 05:38:38 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 18:33 -0500, Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:
> I'm having this other problem with ardour: very often, when I stop
> recording, ardour shows this message "Jack has either been shutdown or
> it disconnected Ardour because Ardour was not fast enough", then I have
> to restart ardour in order to be able to reconnect to jack.
>
> My system:
> P4HT 2.8 GHz
> 1 Gig. RAM
> M-Audio Audiophile

Which audiophile? This makes a big difference as some of them are USB
devices and other PCI (better).

> Kernel 2.6.15 with Ingo's RT patches
> jack command: jackd -R -t10000 -dalsa -dhw:1 -r48000 -p256 -n2

Your system is way fast enough for ardour. I'm pretty sure you are
running into configuration issues.

 - Is DMA turned on in your disks?
   (see "man hdparm")
 - Which filesystem are you using on the partition the session is on?
 - Are you running any plugins which might cause denormal issues?
 - Is your soundcard sharing an IRQ with other devices?
   (cat /dev/interrupts)
 - How much other load is there on the system?

These are all things that distributions designed for audio use
automatically try to solve. If you find all of this too much to take in,
you can try a distribution like PlanetCCRMA or Ubuntu studio or demudi
which will (at least try to) solve these issues themselves.

Of course, if you're the tinkering sort like i am, you might want to do
this yourself. It all depends on the level of expertise / time / will to
do research. Even though I do this myself on my home system, my laptop
is running PlanetCCRMA to get good performance with minimal fuss.

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>