[ardour-users] control surfaces

Andrew Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 14:53:29 PST 2006

There are a couple of options.  The Behringer BCF2000 and BCR2000 are good
choices for control surface only, however if you wanted to have the choice
of a unit that actually has preamps as well you could opt for something like
I have which is the Behringer DDX3216.  I haven't actually had the time to
setup and verify that the control surface interfaces with ardour, however I
looked into it and I'm pretty sure it uses the same midi machine control
protocols as the BCF2000.  This option gives you analog/digital and control
surface all in one!  The one drawback is that it's sample rate is only 48000
Hz so if you are going to wanting to go to 96 KHz or more than it may not be
the best.  Still, I'm not sure if you'll get an analog mixer with automated
faders and mmc anywhere else, never mind for the price of a DDX3216.  I will
be getting some midi cables this week and I will seek to let you know how it
goes with controlling ardour.

Cheers,
Andy J