[ardour-users] Freeze Function

Brett Clark Brett at ciscoinc.com
Fri Mar 17 11:49:38 PST 2006

>> Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what exactly does the 'freeze function'
>> do that's different from just disabling a track?
>> (We've just been disabling tracks we're not using at the time to save cpu
>> cycles and avoid other stability problems.)

My understanding of the 'freeze' function is that it will apply all effects and
automations to a track so that they dont require extra CPU time during playback.
This is different from disabling a track because a 'freeze' track will still play
and have output.  You really only want to freeze a track when you are not
going to make any more tweaks or modifications to it.

--Brett