[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 07:54:46 PST 2006

> 1) I realised that you can't have Ingo Molnar's realtime preemption
> kernel patch and Nvidia binary drivers installed at the same time (at
> least on SMP machine). What happens? When you start X, the Nvidia driver
> freezes the machine. This was a hard lesson. You don't want to push the
> reset button. Fortunately the filesystem recovered. Hopefully someone
> finds a solution to this problem. I hope Nvidia would make their drivers
> open source. Molnar's patch + Nvidia drivers would be a killer
> combination! I had a taste of Ingo Molnar's realtime patch and damn - I
> can't believe how responsive the desktop was!

Hmm I am coing in late to this conversation I apologize, I havent had
much time to read the list throughly... BUT.

Um I have Ingo's Patch and Nvidia Drivers working on an SMP enabled
kernel, I am just missing the second processor in my machine itself(Tyan
K8WE Dual Opteron Board, only one processor in there at this time though)

        Seablade