[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 07:35:29 PST 2006

On 3/17/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/17/06, Andrew Johnston <andyandtaya at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >  I'm having trouble with the gentoo ebuild of the caps plugin.  It seems to
> > compile okay and merge okay, however it only puts one file (caps.so) into
> > the /usr/bin/ladspa directory.  When I browse for them in ardour there is
> > nothing there for caps.  I have noticed that the other plugin ebuilds i've
> > merged have an 'fdr' file in /usr/share/ladspa/fdr, but there is no caps
> > file there.  Have you succesfully got caps-plugin working? Do you know of
> > this issue and any workaround?  Any help would be appreciated, they are some
> > of the best plugins one can get along with tap-plugin.
> >  Cheers,
> >  Andy J =)
> >

> Hi Andy,
>    I'm on my wife's machine here in the pre-dawn hours so I cannot try
> this right now.
>
>    How did you emerge caps-plugins? 0.2.1-r1 or something newer?
>
> * media-plugins/caps-plugins
>      Available versions:  0.2.1-r1 ~0.2.3 ~0.3.0
>      Installed:           none
>      Homepage:            http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html
>
> - Mark

Andrew,
   I took a *very* quick pass at installing caps-plugins. It seems
that the stable version does only install the single executable that
you speak of:

dragonfly ~ # equery files caps-plugins
[ Searching for packages matching caps-plugins... ]
* Contents of media-plugins/caps-plugins-0.2.1-r1:
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/ladspa
/usr/lib/ladspa/caps.so
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/caps-plugins-0.2.1-r1
/usr/share/doc/caps-plugins-0.2.1-r1/README.gz
/usr/share/doc/caps-plugins-0.2.1-r1/html
/usr/share/doc/caps-plugins-0.2.1-r1/html/caps.html
dragonfly ~ #

On the machine I'm on I only have Aqualung to test. Without
caps-plugins installed I see plugin IDs 1041-1049 with the exception
of 1044. With caps-plugins installed I see new IDs from 1766
(Amp/Speaker emulation) up through 1795 (Versatile plate reverb, 2x2)
so it seems that they are being installed.

I'll possibly try this on Ardour later today if I get a chance but it
seems that the emerge process of the stable pakage at least does work.

Hope this helps,
Mark