[ardour-users] [Jackit-devel] updating jack from 0.99.51 to 0.100.0

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Fri Mar 17 06:27:10 PST 2006

Paul Davis wrote:

>>untill now, i was able to find out that  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is only for
>>developers to use, which i am not.
>>
>>the output of:
>>
>>#echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>
>>is empty.
>>
>>i have in the moment jack0.99.51 installed in /usr/bin and jack0.100.0 build
>>by myself in /usr/local/bin.
>>in /usr/local/lib i found some "jack.ld.so" libraries (i am not sure if the
>>name here is 100% correctly!).
>>so there must be a "simplier" way to install another version of jack on a
>>system.
>>

>there is no "simpler" way to do this. there are very few (perhaps no)
>other (free) software packages that feature a library, a server and a
>shared memory region that links them. this greatly complicates trying to
>install multiple versions.
>

>>is there a posibility to tell to the appis which are looking for jack on
>>their startup, where to find it?
>>

>thats what LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for but if you don't already know what
>that is, i don't want to explain it to you. you *must* remove one of the
>installed versions of JACK so that there is only one version on your
>machine.

ok, thanks for triyng to help, i got it in another way now, entering the
demudi-developing adress in my sources.list and commenting it out again
on the end!
than i deinstalled ardour and build it again, the performanc now seems
to be 257% better (or even more), really crazy, yesterday playing on a
"fake-session", recording, connecting, dissconnecting, writing
automation and switching to play automation, all that " on the fly", and
no artefacts, xruns, hang overs or simular!
really great, thanks for subgestions an for your work guys,
cheers,
doc