[ardour-users] mic preamps

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Mar 15 15:50:31 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:20:40PM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> > I think they are "good for the money", in fact I don't know of
> > a better buy, but I wish I had something better than my 1202 (XDR).
> > Noise is pretty low, dynamic range is pretty wide, and detail is pretty
> > good, but I find them a bit harsh on things with a lot of transient
> > treble - e.g. steel-string acoustic guitars, cymbals, snare drums.
> > Of course, I could also do with better mics, so that's probably a
> > contributing factor, but I've heard others say the same thing about
> > the mackie pres.
>

> Tried the Onyx series at all for that yet?

No, those came out after I bought mine. Reputedly they are
an improvement.

The 1220 does have a couple features I'd like (faders, defeatable EQ)
so I might consider upgrading at some point. Or not; I might
buy a couple channels of really nice outboard pre first.
Or more likely monitors.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com