[ardour-users] mic preamps

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Mar 15 14:10:31 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:56:29PM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> > The preamps in my little Makie 1202 are really quite nice, but it's a
> > 12-channel mixer, no S/PIDIF and it's not rack mountable...  Forget I
> > said anything...
>
> The VLZ pres from Mackie are known for being good preamps, especially
> for the money.  You can always convert them to digital with a decent
> AD/DA if you wanted.  And I believe the smaller 1202 and 1402 and 1404
> mixers could be adapted to a rackmount, though my memory may be bad on
> that as well, I just want to say they were small enough.

I think they are "good for the money", in fact I don't know of
a better buy, but I wish I had something better than my 1202 (XDR).
Noise is pretty low, dynamic range is pretty wide, and detail is pretty
good, but I find them a bit harsh on things with a lot of transient
treble - e.g. steel-string acoustic guitars, cymbals, snare drums.
Of course, I could also do with better mics, so that's probably a
contributing factor, but I've heard others say the same thing about
the mackie pres.

And yes, I have seen rackmounted 1202's, it's a pretty common option I
think.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com