[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 13:47:57 PST 2006

On 3/12/06, Thomas G. Willis <tom.willis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow thanks for the tips.

You're quite welcome.

>  I dont have eix-sync, is this different from emrege --sync?

emerge eix

It's a better tool, according to the developers, for keeping the
portage database up to date. Don't ask me why. They said to use it so
I did. It searches for things much better than the older equery or
whatever it was.

lightning ~ # eix eix
* app-portage/eix
     Available versions:  0.3.0-r1 0.3.0-r2 ~0.5.0 ~0.5.0-r1 ~0.5.1
~0.5.1-r1 ~0.5.1-r2
     Installed:           0.3.0-r2
     Homepage:            http://eixwiki.unfoog.de
indexing for fast results

Found 1 matches
lightning ~ #

You may run into the issue where emerge --sync or eix-sync is slow. If
that's the case thern there is a mod for speeding it up dramatically:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_speed_up_portage_with_cdb

It looks a little compicated but it really isn't. Just take it slowly.
When you're done updating the database will be far faster.

>  Other than that, I'm getting the hang of it

Great!

>  got the low latency kernel built for amd64, jack built fine, hydrogen built
> fine then segfaulted on startup, but ardour runs like a champ on the couple
> of sessions I had.
>
>  The only xruns I got seemed to be related to starting up programs but I
> didn't get any once I started playback and exporting and such.

Sounds like you made great progress.

>  I'm pretty pleased with this so far. Mostly it feels rock solid and
> lightweight.

It will be as lightweight as you want it to be. That's what's nice about Gentoo.

As you get more deeply into it always do your emerges with the -pv
flag first, look at your flags and understand what specific options
are causing things to get dragged in. You'll learn a lot over time
that way also.

Hope it continues to work well.

Cheers,
Mark