[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Thomas G. Willis tom.willis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 11:06:34 PST 2006

On 3/11/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> eix-sync
>
> The eix-sync command is the rougg equivalent of apt-get update. It
> downloads new ebuilds and updates databases so you know what's in
> portage

emerge -pv system
> emerge system
> emerge -pv world
> emerge world
>
> The commands above will update the system files and everything in your
> specific world file. (/var/log/portage/world if you want to look at
> what's there. 'system' is defined by the devs...) I always do a -pv
> version to see what the system is going to do before I do it and what
> compile time USE flags will be used for each package.
>
> emerge -pv ardour
>
> would emerge what ever is in portage and considered stable
>
> Adding things to /etc/portage/package.keywords like
>
> media-sound/ardour ~x86
>
> will allow portage to build the testing version of a package.
>
> emerge -pv --deep --update --newuse world
>
> will do a very complete update of your system
>
> emerge -pv --depclean
>
> will remove packages you system doesn't need anymore. Use it carefully
> and only after completing emerge --deep --update --newuse world.
>
> revdep-rebuild -p will check your system for missing stuff and
> re-emerge it for you.
>
> Adding USE flags to /etc/portage/package.use like this:
>
> x11-misc/xscreensaver new-login
>
> will cuse portage to build with specific features enabled by the USE
> flag. (In this case 'new-login')
>
> Additions to package.mask will tell portage to use certain packages,
> or certain ranges of packages.
>
> lightning ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
> #>app-emulation/wine-0.9.2
> #<x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.18.8-r1
> #>x11-base/x11-drm-20050807
> #>net-www/mplayerplug-in-3.11
> lightning ~ #
>
> See, not too difficult! ;-)
>
> - Mark

Wow thanks for the tips.

I dont have eix-sync, is this different from emrege --sync?

Other than that, I'm getting the hang of it

got the low latency kernel built for amd64, jack built fine, hydrogen built
fine then segfaulted on startup, but ardour runs like a champ on the couple
of sessions I had.

The only xruns I got seemed to be related to starting up programs but I
didn't get any once I started playback and exporting and such.

I'm pretty pleased with this so far. Mostly it feels rock solid and
lightweight.

--
Thomas G. Willis
http://i-see-sound.com