[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 15:53:37 PST 2006

On 3/11/06, Thomas G. Willis <tom.willis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/11/06, Andrew Johnston <andyandtaya at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Okay in answering my own question I thought I'd post it to help anyone
> else.  I looked at the package script from the gentoo portage site, and saw
> that it was looking explicitly for fltk, and if it wasn't installed then it
> wouldn't compile the hdspmixer and hdspconf.  So I just added it to my USE
> flags and emerge went and fetched fltk first, and then whalla!
> > So I'm happy now, after two straight days of compiling I have a bare bones
> ardour system...I will be writing up a little howto soon, so others don't
> have to go through such a steep learning curve.
> >
> > Keep it up ardour fans...the revolution has just begun...
> >
> > Andy J =)
> >

>  Man, gentoo makes me feel like a moron. I build j2ee systems or a living
> too :) Anywho looking forward to the howto, I haven't quite figured out this
> emerge thing yet, I guess apt has spoiled me.
>
>  If anyone cares to post some how to install ardour on gentoo I'd appreciate
> it. I'm not getting this masked package deal yet.

Pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I'm making some assumptions
about packages on the system. If they are not there post back.

eix-sync

The eix-sync command is the rougg equivalent of apt-get update. It
downloads new ebuilds and updates databases so you know what's in
portage

emerge -pv system
emerge system
emerge -pv world
emerge world

The commands above will update the system files and everything in your
specific world file. (/var/log/portage/world if you want to look at
what's there. 'system' is defined by the devs...) I always do a -pv
version to see what the system is going to do before I do it and what
compile time USE flags will be used for each package.

emerge -pv ardour

would emerge what ever is in portage and considered stable

Adding things to /etc/portage/package.keywords like

media-sound/ardour ~x86

will allow portage to build the testing version of a package.

emerge -pv --deep --update --newuse world

will do a very complete update of your system

emerge -pv --depclean

will remove packages you system doesn't need anymore. Use it carefully
and only after completing emerge --deep --update --newuse world.

revdep-rebuild -p will check your system for missing stuff and
re-emerge it for you.

Adding USE flags to /etc/portage/package.use like this:

x11-misc/xscreensaver new-login

will cuse portage to build with specific features enabled by the USE
flag. (In this case 'new-login')

Additions to package.mask will tell portage to use certain packages,
or certain ranges of packages.

lightning ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
#>app-emulation/wine-0.9.2
#<x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.18.8-r1
#>x11-base/x11-drm-20050807
#>net-www/mplayerplug-in-3.11