[ardour-users] Ardour1 and Ardour2?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Mar 9 18:45:21 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 19:41 -0500, Steve wrote:
> Hey Dave!....The links you provided in response to my question still
> leaves me dumbfounded. What the heck is Ardour1 and Ardour2? The only
> thing I've been using was the .9beta releases and the current .99-1
> release. I just dont'get it? What is the difference between Ardour1 and
> Ardour2? What is the GTK2 port? What GTK port am I using with the .99-1
> release? I just don't get it....Where the heck is the Ardour1 and
> Ardour2 releases?..Help me understand this someone.......

Steve,

    Ardour1 is actually Ardour 0.99.whatever  It was written using GTK
which is a graphical user interface (GUI) widget library.  Ardour2 is a
port (geek speak for conversion) of Ardour1 (0.99) to GTK2 which is the
most recent version of GTK.  GTK2 apparently includes many major
improvements to make the GUI much more usable than what was possible
under GTK.  At the moment Ardour2 is very much a beta release so, unless
you want to suffer through the beta testing, I would suggest you stay
with Ardour 1 (0.99.whatever).

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744