[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:25:00 PST 2006

On 3/9/06, Thomas G. Willis <tom.willis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/9/06, Andrew Johnston <andyandtaya at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Wow, thanks so much everyone for the fantastic responses...this mailing
> list has me addicted (almost).

>  Seconded. I just built my new box today. I threw ubuntu on it as a sanity
> check, but I think I'm gonna start with the gentoo this weekend. I had tried
> it before and I learned a lot about linux/unix.

Just give yourself some extra time. The Gentoo installation process is
almost flawless. The most common mistake is not following the
instructions exactly - to the absolute letter, or making a small
mistake. If you do what the instructions say then you're almost
guaranteed success. I've done about 20 machine builds over the last
2-3 years. If I can do it anyone can. I have no real Linux experience
other than what I've learned on these lists and NO ITsys-admin
experience at all.

One thing a lot of folks don't know about the Gentoo installation is
that it's almost more easily done from a second machine. Boot the
to-be Gentoo install disk and set up networking. Turn on ssh. At this
point go to a running machine, ssh into the new Gentoo box, get to the
installation instructions online, and then just copy and paste with
your mouse into the ssh terminal. You have no typing mistakes, can
keep notes about exactly what you did, and have a usable computer
while you wait for the Gentoo box to get built. Way more enjoyable!

Cheers,
Mark