[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Maluvia terakuma at imbris.net
Thu Mar 9 09:10:53 PST 2006

>I am currently running a dual boot FC4/ccrma and 64studio setup on an
AMD64
>X2 3800+ with 2 gig RAM and a RME HDSP9652.
>
>But my current problem is I need the
>most uptodate kernel and jack to solve my AMD CPU problems.
>guess I'm trying to say is that I'm an audio-engineer with a fulltime
>teaching job and I don't want to have to become a pseudo-software engineer
>just to get a stable, quick, working version of ardour. So I was wondering
>if gentoo might be able to help me get all the necessary components
>together
>with minimal pain and torment, but give me the stability and speed I am
>looking for.  I am quite happy to settle for a 32bit install if a 64bit
one
>is still a bit pie in the sky as well.

We have similar hw setup: AMD64 3500 + 2gigRAM + RME hdsp9632.
I know lots of people here are getting excellent results with Gentoo - I'd
like to try it myself when I have more time to study up on it.
(We didn't have good luck with 64-bit mode, and are just using 32-bit for
the present.)

Just wanted to put in a good word for Arch Linux here - I think it is an
overlooked distro.
It's a simple, lightweight i686-optimized distribution, which stays very
current with their packages and they have their ABS build tree so you can
compile all supported packages from source if you want.
They keep Jack and Ardour up-to-date, and have a number of other
precompiled audio apps.
They're also making progress with their 64-bit port.
It's run very stable for us.
Might be another way to meet your needs.

- Maluvia