[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Thu Mar 9 08:26:43 PST 2006

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> I do have plans down the road to build a dedicated audio workstation with
> better audio interface hardware, but that will be a long time coming.
>
> Bottom line: Gentoo works well for me considering what I do with it.  Post
> from other people on this list suggests that Gentoo also works well in
> more demanding multitrack applications with ardour and jack - I just
> haven't tried that yet ;-)

I will pipe in and say Gentoo is very well suited for building a
dedicated DAW -- you just need to take some time and plan ahead before
installing software.

I am using an Athlon K7 machine (1.4Ghz) with 512 megs of RAM, with a
M-Audio 1010... everything runs smoothly and I have had to problems
getting stuff setup. I have not had to download any patches or anything
to get it all working: low-latency kernel, realtime modules, alsa, jack,
ardour, rosegarden, etc. I've also got external firewire drives (CD/DVD
writer, 80G hard drive) and wireless USB adaptor, and everything has
works very well together. I'll also mention that the Gentoo maintainers
for apps like Ardour keep everything very up to date (unlike some other
distros).

-- Brett
--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com