[ardour-users] Export Question

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Mar 9 08:43:11 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 08:27 -0800, Maluvia wrote:
> My husband says that the last time he exported, he just had the outs1&2
> going to L&R respectively, and got *no* clipping. (This was without the
> bus.)

i think you are confused about the role of a bus versus the direct outs
of each track. its a common confusion. most ardour sessions get a master
bus by default, and all tracks get their outputs wired to the master
bus. the master bus in turn tends to be connected to the physical JACK
ports corresponding to your standard stereo speakers. if you export by
connecting just the master bus outputs to the L & R of the export file,
you get the exact same data in the file as would have been delivered to
the audio interface. if you start messing around with connecting
individual tracks, then you need to have a very solid grasp of what
you're trying to accomplish.

> The audio quality of the exported file is a separate issue - probably
> nothing to be done about that.

yeah, you'll need to store that on at least a 15K RPM firewire drive
with hypomagnetic platters and preferably a gyroscopically stabilized
axle if you want the quality to improve.

--p