[ardour-users] Setting up a gentoo box for ardour

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Thu Mar 9 08:20:16 PST 2006

Paul Davis wrote:

> gentoo may be able to help here, but you'll play even more of the
> pseudo-software-engineer on that system if my impression is correct.

Gentoo is easy to maintain once you have it set up correctly... but it's
the setup that requires the software engineering skills -- well,
sysadmin is probably a better term....  If you don't mind rolling your
sleeves up and getting your hands dirty with config files and customized
builds, Gentoo is worth the trouble (I recently switched from Debian to
Gentoo and am happy I did -- so much more stable and efficient). But
expect to spend the better part of a day getting things setup and
working. If you just want to stick in a CD and get things up and running
quickly, Gentoo isn't the solution.

-- Brett
--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com