[ardour-users] Export Question

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Wed Mar 8 17:51:44 PST 2006

On 3/8/06, Maluvia <terakuma at imbris.net> wrote:

> We just used three 192/24 tracks (2 guitar, 1 drum),
> (Track faders: -1.2, -3.0 and -4.3 dbfs respectively.)
> Clicked 'export session to audiofile', selected the desired resolution
> (stereo 192/24) and file type (.wav) for the destination file,
> (little-endian), sent out1 for each track to go to L and out2 to go to R in
> the dialog check boxes, then clicked 'export'.

Sounds OK.  I assume that you were routing the outputs for each track
directly to the hdsp pcm playback ports?

> (The first few times we tried this we got nothing but silent tracks because
> we didn't have the sync option set to 'sync to Jack'.)

This is strange.   Are you using any other jack clients and/or inserts
in ardour?

> The second method involved creating a master bus, sending the outs for each
> track to the ins of the bus, taking the bus level down to where the
> playback levels in the hdspmixer showed absolutely no clips whatsoever and
> then proceeding with the export w/ bus out1 -> L, out2 -> R.

I assume you disconnected the track outputs from the hdsp playback ports?
I don't know why you would need to take the bus level down here, jack
should be doing the same mixing on the bus ports as it did on the alsa
playback ports.

> The main issue here is that the exported file, without the bus attenuation,
> had playback levels that were ~12-14db higher than the playback levels of
> just the plain tracks in the session.
> We don't understand why this should be the case.

I admit that I don't know that would cause this either.  My testing
gave normal results (although i'm not running at 192).  It almost
sounds like some outputs were being exported twice to the same channel
or something.

jlc