[ardour-users] Daw recommendations

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Wed Mar 8 17:25:24 PST 2006

Geoff Beasley wrote:
> Don't  go dual processor just yet, and you don't need 64 bit Linux either... too bleeding still.

Hi Matt,
Hi Geoff,

true with respect to 64 bit, you still have to build some packages yourself.
But I would never deduce from that the advice, not to buy a 64 bit dual processor
machine just yet! (I have done so six months ago and didn't encounter any larger
problems up to now, and the support is getting better and better every day)

Yes, there is one minor problem with AMD64 X2 which causes xruns occasionally
when using Jack (without them beeing audible, anyway). IIRC, fixes for this are
alredy under work.
You don't need to run a SMP kernel (i.e. you can just use one of your CPUs
if you fear any problems), but the difference of using SMP is very noticable
with usual desktop apps and setup (wheras I didn't notice any difference when
running true 64bit or 32 bit mode under "normal" workloads).

> And don't over look the importance of your distro for audio either. I use Gentoo; if you're
> really serious it's the only choice IMHO;
I must confess, I became a big fan of Debian in the last six months.
There are Audio/Music optimized distributions based on debian, see
http://demudi.agnula.org/ and http://64studio.com/

Cheers,
Hermann