[ardour-users] problem improting .wav into Cubase

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Sun Mar 5 18:55:48 PST 2006

On 3/5/06, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 12:57 -0500, Matthew Polashek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I recorded a show live last night (16 channels X 3 hours and Ardour
> > .99.2-tiger ran without a hitch or even an Xrun on my G4 450 with a MOTU
> > 2408!!!) and I gave a guy with Windows Cubase SX1 the files and he is
> > unable to import them into the software as it doesn't recognize the
> > format.  I think my Ardour (OSX version) recorded the files as
> > "Broadcast WAVE" as opposed to "WAVE."  Could that be the problem?  Any
> > thoughts?
>
> the files are broadcast wave, with the data chunk in floating point
> format.
>
> if SX cannot handle this, i am flabbergasted. not handling BWF is a
> basic violation of handling any RIFF format (if you don't understand any
> chunk you ignore it, and the difference between .wav and BWF is just an
> extra chunk). the floating point format is more understandable, but
> still pretty shameful.

No, the problem is probably that they are the uncommon RIFX format
(big-endian wav).  Not surprising cubase doesn't know what they are.
This is partially our fault, we should probably be using AIFFs on
big-endian plaforms as the native format for best interopability.

Exporting each track from ardour is probably the easiest (but most
time-consuming) way to get them in a format cubase would understand.

Sorry about that....

jlc