[ardour-users] problem improting .wav into Cubase

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Mar 5 10:30:02 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 12:57 -0500, Matthew Polashek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I recorded a show live last night (16 channels X 3 hours and Ardour
> .99.2-tiger ran without a hitch or even an Xrun on my G4 450 with a MOTU
> 2408!!!) and I gave a guy with Windows Cubase SX1 the files and he is
> unable to import them into the software as it doesn't recognize the
> format.  I think my Ardour (OSX version) recorded the files as
> "Broadcast WAVE" as opposed to "WAVE."  Could that be the problem?  Any
> thoughts?

the files are broadcast wave, with the data chunk in floating point
format.

if SX cannot handle this, i am flabbergasted. not handling BWF is a
basic violation of handling any RIFF format (if you don't understand any
chunk you ignore it, and the difference between .wav and BWF is just an
extra chunk). the floating point format is more understandable, but
still pretty shameful.

--p